Cooking in the Upper Room
Hi! My name is Justin. I love food and I enjoy sharing my passions!
In such a fast-paced world, cooking has always been a way for me to slow down and connect with myself and others. Whether it’s cooking with loved ones, helping prepare the holiday dinner, or baking goodies for friends, sharing a meal can bring us closer in community than few other things can!
This month’s recipe is…
Mixed Nut/Pumpkin Seed Granola With Dried Fruit – And Pumpkin Carving!! Come dressed in your halloween costume!
Have your ingredients (minus the pumpkin seeds) measured out before we begin.
Oven should be preheated to 350 degrees.
Nuts should be chopped if desired.
A pumpkin carving kit from your local grocery market will make the pumpkin carving more enjoyable!
Chopping the almonds by hand is the first choice for superior texture and crunch. If you prefer not to hand chop, substitute an equal quantity of slivered or sliced almonds.
Use a single type of your favorite dried fruit or a combination. Do not use quick oats.
1. Heat Oven to 325 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together your choice of syrup, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in oil. Fold in oats oats, nuts and seeds until thoroughly coated.
3. Transfer mixture onto prepared baking sheet and spread across sheet into a thin, even layer. Using a stiff spatula compress the mixture until it is very compact. Bake until lightly browned / 30 – 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on cooling rack. Break up granola and stir in dried fruit. Store in an airtight container.
Removing Pumpkin Seeds:
1. Cut open the top of your pumpkin.
2. Scrape off pulp and seeds. Place in a bowl of water. Clean off pulp from the seeds.
3. Drain in colander. Dry seeds thoroughly with a towel or paper towel.
1/4 cup of maple or agave syrup
1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar
4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of avocado oil *vegtable oil can be used as well
5 cups of old fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 cup of almonds
1 cup of pecans
2 cups of your favorite dried fruit, chopped if needed.
One or Two pumpkins (for seeds and carving)!
Large bowl for mixing ingredients
Large bowl for cleaning pumpkin seeds
Two to Three airtight containers (I usually use mason jars)
Metal Spoon for scraping seeds from pumpkin
Pumpkin Carving Kit
Meeting ID: 872 4168 0379
One tap mobile
- When you click into the meeting, you will be placed in a waiting room.
- When you are let into the meeting, you will need to announce yourself.
- If you need help setting up ZOOM, please contact our office and we will provide support.